READ DISCOVER CONNECT SHARE
LEARNING RESOURCE CENTER ASSISTANT – Gaffney Library
Part-time, temporary (40 weeks), 18 hours per week
Regular schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 4-7pm; Saturday 10am-4pm
Through a grant funded by the Library Services and Technology Act and the Institute of Museums and Library Services, and administered by the South Carolina State Library, the Cherokee County Public Library is seeking a detail-oriented, technologically-savvy individual for a temporary 40-week position of part-time Learning Resource Center Assistant. Excellent oral and written communication and computer skills are required, along with a dedication to outstanding customer service. Eighteen hour work week schedule may include working other library hours as needed.
Applicants who do not meet the availability and minimum education and experience requirements indicated in this job posting or do not have the ability to perform the essential functions for the position, with or without accommodation, will not be considered for employment.
Wage is $10.00 per hour. Works under direct supervision of the Youth Services Manager.
Work requires the exertion of up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Must have excellent computer skills, including Internet, Microsoft Office, Mac/OS X, and iPad/iOS applications. Customer service and/or education experience is desired; library experience is helpful.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists student patrons in using the library’s Learning Resource Center; instructs patrons on use of available Macs and iPads for research and homework purposes
- Enforces Learning Resource Center policies; collects release forms for new LRC patrons; manages sign-in and time limits for patrons using the LRC; monitors usage of LRC resources
- Maintains statistics and logs of LRC usage including sign-in forms, documenting types of questions asked by patrons, monitoring and logging LRC users’ needs and requests
- Ensures security of LRC resources and maintains detailed records of each item’s usage; secures LRC technology when not in use and at library closing
- Performs circulation tasks: checks books in and out, collects fines, places books on hold, registers patrons for library cards
- Re-shelves and straightens books and other library materials
- Instructs patrons on library resources and use of library equipment; assists patrons in finding library materials; performs reader’s advisory service
- Assists patrons with reference questions; helps patrons locate reference materials; responds to patron inquiries and questions over the telephone and in person
- Assists patrons using public PCs and for Internet access and/or using Microsoft Office applications, monitors usage of public PCs by patrons, including enforcement of library policies
- Performs other tasks as assigned
If interested in applying for this position, please submit a Cherokee County Public Library Application form, available at the Gaffney and Blacksburg library locations. Resumes and/or cover letters may also be submitted, but will not be accepted without a completed application. Position is open until filled. Estimated start date: December 1, 2013
Equal Opportunity Employer
Libraries today are more than repositories for books and other resources. They are trusted places in the community. "Service to the community has always been the focus of the library", said Lana Gardner, CCPL director. "While this aspect has never changed, libraries have grown and evolved in HOW they provide for the needs of every member of their community."
Near the end of 2012, the library completed a new Strategic Plan. Recognizing the need to evolve from a traditonal library to a community center that provides information, education, entertainment and meeting places, a new era of library services began with technology leading the way. Through this plan and in tandem with community initiatives, the library has made a commitment to impact the community in critical areas, such as literacy, technology skills, families and youth at risk and workforce development. In support of the library's mission of connecting community with quality resources that encourage literacy, expand learning and enrich lives, renewed effort is underway to provide an array of books, educational and entertaining programs and special events that meet the needs and interests of a growing and diverse community.
Visit us on Facebook and Library Thing.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mission: The Cherokee County Public Library strives to connect the community with quality resources that encourage literacy, expand learning, and enrich lives.